Chemistry Examination Question for Senior Secondary School (SS1)
If you’re searching for Chemistry Examination questions and answers for senior secondary school students,we’ve got you covered.This page contains Chemistry exam questions and possible answers for SS1 Students. If you need chemistry questions for SS2 and SS3, Kindly check the links below. For answers to this Chemistry Exam Questions kindly contact us using the contact us page, we will respond to your query as soon as possible.
Chemistry Examinations questions…Chemistry exam questions and answers, are you looking for Chemistry examination questions and answers? Here are well organized Chemistry examination questions and answers for all SS1 to SS3 students….
Chemistry Examination Question for Senior Secondary School (SS1) UPDATED ==>20/09/2019
1. The ability for carbon to form long straight and branch chain
compounds is termed (A) catenation (B) Functional group (c) cokation (D)
2. How many moles of calcium trioxocarbonate (IV) are there in 5.0g of calcium
trioxocarbonate (iv)? A) 0.005 B) 0.05 C) 0.5 D) 5.0 E) 10
3. A base that is soluble in aqueous solution is termed (A)Acid B) Alkalis C) salt D) Crystals
4. Acid that are synthesized from plant and animal matters are ( A)
Inorganic acid( B) Arenic acid (C) Organic acid (D) Organo metallic acid
5. The variation of the physical and chemical properties of element both across the
period and down the group of the periodic table is termed? (A) Periodicity
(B) Periodic law (C) Periodic table (D)Periodic moment
6. The smallest particle of a substance which can take part in a chemical reaction
is (A) Atom (B) Matter (C) Molecules (D)ions
7. The valency of Oxygen atom in a neutral state is (A) -2 (B)+2 (C)2 (D)1
8. How many Valence electrons are found in the outermost shell of Chlorine
atom (A) 17 (B)10 (C)7 (D)70
9. Elements in the same group in the periodic table possess (A) Variable oxidation state (B) Similar chemical and physical properties (C)The same number of octet
configuration (D)The same number of ionic electrosphere
10. Determine the Oxidation state of Sulphure in SO42- (A)-6 (B) +5 (C)+6 (D)3
11. Hard coal is also known as (A)Bituminous coal (B) Anthracite coal
(c)Brown coal(D)Lignite coal
12. The process whereby coal is decomposed under high temperature in the absence of
air to exclude volatile components is termed (A)Carbonization(B)Destructive distillation of coal (C)Catenation (D) wood destructive alination
13. The colour of blue litmus paper in an Acid medium is (A)Red (B)Blue (C)Purple
14. ——–and ——– are classified as Fuel gas (A) Water gas and carbonization
gas(B) Water gas and mineral gas(C) producer gas and steam gas (D) Water gas
and producer gas
15. The element whose electronic configuration is 1s2 2s2 2p6 is
(A) Carbon (B)Nitrogen (C)Sulphure (D)Neon
16. The element whose electronic configuration is 1S2 2S2 2P6 3S2 belongs
to which period and group in the periodic table (A)Period 2 group 5 (B)
Period 3 group 2 (C)Period 2 group 2 (D) Period 3 group 3
17. The number of replaceable hydrogen ions or atom in a corresponding acidic compound is referred to as (A) Acidity (B) Basicity (C) Alkalinity (D) Neutrality
18. A salt which when exposed to the atmosphere loses it water of crystallization
is termed (A) Efflorescence salt (B) Hygroscopic salt (C) Deliquescent salt
(D) Anhydrous salt
19. When an acid reacts reversibly with a base to form salt and water, the reaction is termed (A)Oxidation reaction (B)ionization reaction (C) Reversible reaction
20. What is the common name for H2SO4 (A) Dihydrogen
tetraoxosulphate (VI) Acid (B) Sulphuric acid (C) Acid hydrogen sulphide (D)
Hydrogen tetraoxosulphate (VI) acid
21. Which group of elements are regarded as halogens in the periodic table (A)
Group 1 (B) Group 2 (C)Group 7 (D) Group 0
22. Diamond is very hard and unreactive because
a. It is ionic b. each carbon atom is covalently bonded to four other
carbon atoms c. It has strong hydrogen bond between
the carbon atom d. it has a high melting point
23. Which of the following acids can form both acid salt and normal salt
a. Conc HNO3 b. dil Hcl c. dil H2SO4 d.Conc CH3CooH
24. When an element exist in two or more forms in the same physical state, the
element is said to exhibit a.Isotope b. Isomerism c. Allotropy d.
25. Water gas is mixture of a. CO2 and H2 b. CO and H2O
c. CO and N2 d. CO and H2
SECTION B (Theory)
INSTRUCTION: Answer four questions only
1. What is an acid?
(a) State three physical properties of an acid
(b) List 3 methods of preparing Acid in the laboratory
(c) What are acid anhydrides? Give 4 examples, and show how they are used to produce acid.
2. How can coke be synthesized or produced from coal
(b) List 4 uses of graphite
(c) List 4 uses of Diamond and explain why diamond does not conduct electricity
3. Define the term allotropy
(b) What is neutralization reaction?
(c) Differentiate between acid salts and Basic salt with examples
4. Define water of crystallization
(b) Define the following
(i) Normal salt (ii) hygroscopic salt (iii) mole
5. List the different stages or type of coal
(b) State 3 uses of wood charcoal
(C) State three physical properties of alkali
Subject: Chemistry Class: SS 1 Duration: 2:30 HoursOBJECTIVE
Which of the following acids forms normal salts only?
(a) tetroxosulphate (vi) acid (b) trioxosulphate (iv) acid (c) tetroxophophate (v) acid (d) trioxonitriate (v) acid
- A substance is said to be hygroscopic if it absorbs;
(a) water from the atmosphere to form a solution (b) heat from the surrounding (c) carbon (iv) oxide from the atmosphere (d) moisture from the atmosphere without dissolving
- Which of the following salt solutions will have a pH greater than 7?
(a) NaCl (b) Na2CO3 (c) Na2S04 (d) NaHSO4
- One of the methods used for combating air pollution is:
(a) burning of solid waste (b) provision of sanitary land fills
(c) legislation against some industrial practices (d) scavenging of refuse dumps
- Which of the following is correct about solution of pH 4 is correct?
(a) addition of NaOH will decrease its pH (b) it will turn red litmus blue (c) it is less acidic than a solution of pH 2 (d) its hydrogen ion concentration is 10-4 moldm-3
- Concentrated H2SO4 is a good drying agent for most gases because it is
(a) hygroscopic (b) dibasic (c) corrosive (d) oxidizing
- What is the deposit formed on boiling water that contains temporary hardness
(a) magnesium tetraovosulphate (vi) (b) calcium trioxocarbonate (iv) (c) magnesium hydrogen trioxocarbonate (iv) (d) calcium tetroxosulphate (vi)
- When a sample of water was boiled it lathered more readily with soap. It can be concluded that the sample most likely contained
(a) magnesium tetraoxosulphate (vi) (b) suspended solids (c) organic impurities (d) calcium hydrogentrioxocarbonate (iv)
- What are the two gases associated with acid rain?
(a) CO2 and HCl (b) CO2 and N2 (c) SO2 and NO2 (d) HCL and SO2
- What are the values of x, y and z respectively in the following equation?
MnO2 + xHCl MnCl2 + yH2O + zCl2
(a) 4, 1, 2 (b) 1, 2, 1 (c) 2, 1, 2 (d) 4, 2, 1
- Which of the following pollutants is biodegradable?
(a) domestic sewage (b) metal scraps (c) radioactive waste (d) plastic foil
- Which of the following substances is hygroscopic in nature?
(a) CaCl2 (b) CuO (c) MgCl2
(d) Na2CO3.10H2O (d) P2O10
- Sour milk contains acid (a) citric (b) ethanoic (c) lactic (d) methanoic
- A salt that absorbs moisture from the atmosphere without forming a solution is said to be
(a) efflorescent (b) deliquescent (c) hygroscopic (d) insoluble