The MTN foundation science and technology scholarship scheme seeks to attract high performing full time second year students studying in public tertiary institutions across Nigeria. The scholarship provides financial assistance to students who might otherwise be unable to pay for their tertiary education and aims to recognize and reward academic excellence.
A maximum of 500 qualified and successful full – time Nigerian students studying science and technology related courses are awarded the scholarship which covers tuition, book allowances and stipends. The scholarship is renewed every year until graduation for existing awardees provided they have maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.5 or its equivalent (second class upper / upper credit) while new applications, when advertised, are welcome from full time students in their second year of study.
Terms and Requirements
1. Second year students from public tertiary institutions with 3.5 CGPA or its equivalent, second class upper.
2. HND students with a minimum of 3.0 GPA (upper credit) at their OND programme.
3. Scholarships will be renewed for the existing students who have maintained a minimum cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 3.5 or its equivalent.
4. Only Nigerians can apply for this scholarship.
Since 2010, over 5000 scholarships have been awarded. The scholarships, awarded on an annual basis, is worth two hundred thousand naira (200,000). This covers tuition, book allowances and living allowances for one academic year.
1. Accounting / accountancy.
2. Agricultural extension and rural development.
3. Agricultural science.
5. Animal breeding and genetics.
6. Animal nutrition.
7. Animal production and health.
8. Aqua culture and fisheries management.
9. Applied physics.
11. Chemical engineering.
12. Civil engineering.
13. Computer and electronics.
14. Computer and information science.
15. Computer and mathematics.
16. Computer engineering.
17. Electrical engineering.
18. Electronics and computer technology.
19. Electronics engineering.
20. Engineering physics.
21. Industrial mathematics.
22. Industrial physics.
23. Information technology.
25. Mechanical engineering.
26. Materials engineering.
27. Petroleum and gas engineering.
28. Physics electronics.
30. Physics / computational modelling.
31. Pure / applied physics.
33. Statistics and computer science.
34. System engineering.
The application usually starts on September 18 and ends on October 9. Only short listed candidates are usually contacted. One can apply through their official website.
MTN foundation science and technology scholarship scheme is one of their many corporate social responsibilities. This particular scholarship has saved many lives and trained a lot more through school. Para venture you are a student in need of a scholarship, go through this article again to find out if you’re eligible and if you are, take that step today and apply!
Peterson, Kay (4 September 2008). “Financial Aid Glossary”. fastweb. Retrieved 28 May 2012.