Banks are known to be an institution where financial transactions are always taking place by people of different class and walks of life. Financial transactions in this case could be sending money to your family, friends, co-workers likewise loved ones or perhaps – it could be receiving money from workplace or clients.
Today, there are lots of banks in Nigeria which are doing well and making financial transactions lots easier for us. However if we were to mention all of the banks that exist in Nigeria today, it would be a very long list hence we had gathered the list of top banks in Nigeria.
Top 10 Banks in Nigeria
1. First bank – First Bank of Nigeria Limited which was established in 1894 and had its headquarters in 35 Marina, Lagos State, Nigeria is regarded as the premier bank in West Africa.
It is the oldest Nigeria Banks and according to Wikipedia sources, the bank is the biggest bank in Nigeria by total deposits and gross earnings
2. GTB – Guaranty Trust Bank also known as GTB or GTBank is a Nigerian multinational financial institution which was formed in 1988 and founded in 1990 by over 35 young Nigerians in their thirties. The bank offers Retail banking, Internet/Online banking, Investment Banking, Corporate Banking and Asset Management.
GTB had its headquarters located in Victoria Island, Lagos and is known for its easier likewise faster banking.
READ ALSO: How To Activate GTB Mobile Money
3. Access Bank – Access Bank which acquire Intercontinental bank in 2011 is said to be one of the list of five largest banks in Nigeria in terms of loans, assets, deposits and branch network.
The bank also had a pretty good service when it comes to Internet/Online banking.
4. UBA – UBA is one of Africa’s largest financial institutions with operations in 19 countries and 3 global financial centers; New York, London and Paris.
5. Diamond Bank – Diamond bank is said to begin as private limited liability company on March 1991 in which Ten years later around 2001, it became a universal bank.
Around 2013, the bank is reported to had 240 branches in Nigeria and other branches in Benin Republic, Senegal, Togo and Cote d’ Ivoire
6. Zenith Bank – Zenith Bank which was founded in 1990 is a commercial bank with branches not only in Nigeria but also in Gambia, Seirra Leone, Ghana likewise representative offices in South Africa and People’s Republic of China.
7. Fidelity Bank – Founded in 1988 by the CEO Nnamdi J. Okonkwo, Fidelity bank is also one of the known commercial banks in Nigeria today.
8. Stanbic IBTC – Stanbic IBTC came to being as the result of a merger between Stanbic Bank Nigeria Limited and IBTC Chartered Bank PLC. It was founded in 1989 and is one of the populous banks known nowadays.
9. Ecobank – Ecobank which was founded in 1985 with banking operations in 36 African countries is one of the leading independent regional banking group in West Africa
10. Union Bank – Founded in 1917, Union bank is one of the oldest bank in Nigeria serving small and medium-sized companies, individuals, as well as organizations