Table of Contents
In recent years, information and communication technologies created enviable channels / platforms in society with the majority of the impact seen on new communication capabilities. For example, people can communicate in real time without any inconvenience, also with others in different countries using technologies such as social networks that incorporate instant messages through ICQ, Yahoo, etc., voice over IP (VoIP) and videoconferencing. such as Instagram, Pintrest, LinkedIn Facebook allow users across the country, Europe, Asia and around the world to keep in touch and communicate with each other on a regular basis.
ICT is an umbrella term that includes all technologies for manipulation and communication of information. The term is sometimes used in preference to information technology. In the common usage, it is often assumed that ICT is synonymous with IT. It encompasses any medium to record disk/tape, CD/DVD, flash memory etc
- Information technology
- Benefits of ICT
- Disadvantages of ICT to mankind
The use of computer + telecommunication equipment + information + technology
The advent of ICT has brought a lot of benefits to business globally in the area of information processing and communication. The following are some of the ICT benefits.
- It makes information processing to be more timely, with better surface area and even more cheaper.
- Access to information is now cheaper and economically viable
- Effective and flexible Human interaction
- ICT makes information dissemination more interactive and effective.
- Globalization or global village: ICT has turned the whole world into a global village. Distance has become irrelevant in business transaction and dealings using e-mail and international World Wide Web.
- Innovative ways of interaction and communication using GSM Technology, satellite cable network, video and teleconferencing, etc
- It helps keep information reliable and up to date
- It enables business and clients to communicate effectively
- It allows more effective management of resources
Apart from the positive impact of computer and telecommunication equipment in our world, they also affect our lives in some ways, which are not beneficial.
Loss of jobs: while some people believe that computer is creating jobs, there are those who see the computer as creating unemployment.
Information about the individual on the internet is not totally secure that one begins to wonder whether a person has any right to his privacy any longer.
Digital divide: The term digital divide refers to the gap between those people with effective access to digital and information technology and those without lack of adequate manpower or trained personnel such as;
- Power electricity
- Virus attack
I believe you have learnt that Information Technology (IT) is the application of computers and Telecommunication equipment for automatic processing of information. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is the combination of computers, communication equipment (ie Telephone , Video etc) and other Technologies associated with automation.
ICT is an umbrella term that includes all technologies for manipulation and communication of information. The term is sometimes used in preference to information technology. In the common usage, it is often assumed that ICT is synonymous with IT. It encompasses any medium to record disk/ tape, CD/DVD. Flash memory etc