Right Attitude to Work
Social value is the precise quantification of the relative significance that people place on the basic changes they experience in their lives as they progresses from one stage to another.Our attitude to work is the way in which we attend to our duties.Good or right attitude to work results in success, while bad or wrong attitude to work results in failure in organizations. Attitude may be positive/right or negative/wrong.
Honestly, any right attitude will lead to increase in productivity and good working environment Attitude involves feelings, values, beliefs and disposition that make individuals to act or behave in a certain way.Progress in any society usually depends on how its citizens do their work. Where they work hard, go to work on time and are honest, to work. Here are 7 Things That Can Help To Avoid Academic Pressure.These are acceptable societal values.
Attributes of Right Attitude to Work
- Commitment and dedication
Honesty: A worker must be upright in performing his duty. He must not cheat his or her employers by being late to work, being irregular at work or leaving his duty post before time. Also, he should not take away the organization’s property. Any worker that behaves negatively at work is being dishonest.
Discipline: A discipline person is someone who has trained himself or herself to obey rules and to do things the right way. Such a person does his or her work without being forced to do it. We need self-discipline to be successful in life.
Commitment and dedication: This involves showing interest in our work and maintaining a good sense of responsibility in carrying out our functions.
Integrity: Integrity is being honest, hard working, disciplined and being strong about what you believe to be right.
Punctuality: This involves getting to work on time and attending to duties on time. A worker should get to work at the time specified for work to begin. In Nigeria, for example, many workplaces are supposed commence operations at 8 o’ in the morning and close at 5 o’ clock in the evening. Workers who are punctual at work in such organizations will be at work by 8am (or before then) and will not close before 5pm.
Regularity: This is the attribute of coming to work whenever one is expected to do so. Some dishonest workers are very fond of being absent from work without permission. Such behavior is unacceptable in the society because it could result in unpleasant consequences. For example, it can result in a worker’s appointment being terminated, and such a person will become jobless. Consequently, those who depend on him would suffer, as he may be unable to feed his family and pay his children’s school fees.
Consistency: This is when a worker does not change from being a good worker. For example, a worker who is always punctual is consistent if he or she continues to be punctual. It is possible however, for somebody to be consistent in doing something unpleasant, such as being a habitual late comer. This kind of consistency is a negative one and should be discourage.
Diligence: This means being hard working, careful and thorough.
Transparency: This means not hiding what one is doing from other people. A transparent person is someone who is easy to understand. This should apply more to financial matters. At the work place, money spent must be accounted for. Every decision must be publicized and must be made by a committee and presented to all those concerned.
Leisure: This involves making good use of one’s free time after the day’s work. Hardworking people should relax after work, on weekends, on public holidays and when they are on leave. For instance, they could go on picnics, take walks, read books and listen to music.
Civility: This means being polite and decent. Workers should be civil in the workplace.
Service: Service involve being ever ready to carry out our official duties. We must be willing to perform our duties at all times. We should serve our country and serve the organization where we work and earn income.
REWARDS/IMPORTANCE OF HAVING THE RIGHT ATTITUDE TO WORK
Having the right attitude to work has the following merits:
- It leads to higher productivity in both private and public sectors.
- It promotes progress, peace and unity.
- It brings promotion to the workers.
- It makes other people to have confidence in the worker of the particular organization.
- It gives a country a positive image.
- It increases the efficiency of the workers.
- It creates a good environment for work.
- It makes a country to be recognized globally.
- It attracts respect for companies and government establishment.
- It will create an environment for social, economic, cultural and all people can benefit.
Consequences of not having the right attitude to work
When individuals do not have the right attitude to work, many undesirable things happen. Here are some of them:
- The workers would lack the motivation to continue work in organization.
- The will be a decline in the rate of productivity.
- Indiscipline will set in, which will probably be followed by corruption.
- There will be conflict in an organization as the efficient workers might disagree with the inefficient ones.
- Those who should patronize the organization would lose confidence in it, because the workers would be inefficient.
- The country would not be respected by other countries of the world.
- People’s life and property would be in danger. If for instance transportation officials are careless, they would cause accidents. If medical officials are lazy or careless, they would kill people. If builders and engineers are not diligent, buildings and bridges would collapse.
Measure to ensure that workers have the right attitude to work.
- Condition for services for workers should be made attractive and useful.
- Government should attach very strict laws to bad attitude to work, and implement such laws.
- Organization should be set up in such a way that it will be easy for employers and employees to understand each other.
- Government should establish agricultural development banks to gives loans for people for farming in order to defeat hunger. some people have a poor attitude to because the earn very little and are underfed.
Government and other organizations should employ the services of good and well paid monitoring teams for the supervision and auditing of instituting and government establishment. This people will take their jobs seriously.