The United States of America (USA), commonly known as the United States ( U.S. or US) or America, is a country of 50 states covering a vast area of North America, with Alaska in the northwest and Hawaii extending the nation’s presence into the Pacific Ocean. Major Atlantic Coast cities are New York City is known as its global finance and culture center, and the capital is Washington, DC.
Following popular demand by most of our visitors, visa seekers, and travelers in general, we will be providing adequate first-hand information that will guide you through all you need to know in order to obtain an American visa to visit, study, live and work in America.
See also: Ten Most Populous Countries in the World
The 50 States of America
There are 50 States that make up the United States of America. We’ve compiled a list for you that will guide you in choosing the State of your choice that you will travel to when going to America. These are the 50 States and their capitals (in brackets)
- Alabama (Montgomery)
- Alaska (Juneau)
- Arkansas (Little Rock)
- California (Sacramento Los Angeles)
- Colorado (Denver)
- Connecticut (Hartford)
- Delaware (Dove)
- Florida (Tallahassee)
- Georgia (Atlanta)
- Hawaii (Honolulu)
- Idaho (Boise)
- Illinois (Springfield)
- Indiana (Indianapolis)
- Iowa (Des Moines)
- Kansas (opeka)
- Kentucky (Frankfort)
- Louisiana (Baton Rouge)
- Maine (Augusta)
- Maryland (Annapolis)
- Massachusetts (Boston)
- Michigan (Lansing)
- Minnesota (St. Paul)
- Mississippi (Jackson)
- Missouri (Jefferson City)
- Montana (Helena)
- Nebraska (Lincoln)
- Nevada (Carson City)
- New Hampshire (Concord)
- New Jersey (Trenton)
- New Mexico (Santa Fe)
- New York (Albany)
- North Carolina (Raleigh)
- North Dakota (Bismarck)
- Ohio (Columbus)
- Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)
- Oregon (Salem)
- Pennsylvania (Harrisburg)
- Rhode Island (Providence)
- South Carolina (Columbia)
- South Dakota (Pierre)
- Tennessee (Nashville)
- Texas (Austin)
- Utah (Salt Lake)
- Vermont (Montpelier)
- Virginia (Richmond)
- Washington (Olympia)
- West Virginia (Charleston)
- Wisconsin (Madison)
- Wyoming (Cheyenne)
Some popular territories of the United States of America include:
- American Samoa
- Guam GU Hagåtña
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Virgin Islands
Recommended for you also:
Jobs available for Nigerians in UK
Easy way to get a New Zealand visa in Nigeria to Visit, Study, Live and Work in New Zealand as a Nigerian
How to obtain a China visa in Nigeria — Easy steps
In order to be able to get an American visa, you will have to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying for. According to the immigration law of the United States of America, the type of visa required will be determined by the purpose of your intended travel and other facts.
Types of American Visa
- Nonimmigrant Visas — This type of visa is meant for those that want to travel to the United States on a temporary basis, like for tourism, temporary employment, visitation or study.
- Immigrant Visas — This is the second type of American Visa. It is best suited for foreign citizens including Nigerians, who want to live permanently in the United States.
American Visa Requirements for Nigerians
We have carefully compiled a list of documents that are usually required for obtaining an American visa in Nigeria, and these documents depends on what you are going to America for.
This visa is for Nigerians who want to study in America. Requirements are:
- Letter or Form of acceptance from your US school or program
- Original copies scholarship and grant letters, and so on.
- Documents confirming strong financial, social, and family connections to your home country that will make you obligated to come back to Nigeria after the conclusion of your study or program
- Bank statement of account and any other documents showing proof of financial stability, and availability of funds to meet all expenses for the first year of study and cost of living
- If you being financially sponsored by another person, take along with you evidence of your relationship to the sponsor, the sponsor’s latest original tax forms and the sponsor’s original bank declarations and fixed deposits.
- Documents confirming preparation for studying, school transcripts with grades, certificates of public examination, standard tests, and diplomas.
See Also: Travel to Barbados to live and work from Nigeria
This type of visa is also required from Nigerians who want to travel to America. It is a visa for people who want to work temporarily in the U.S. Requirements are:
- Your CV
- Proof of your job qualifications accompanied with any University degree certificate
- Original letters from present and previous employers confirming your position and projects accomplished
- Payrolls from your current or previous place of employment
- Personnel managers’ names and phone numbers at your current and previous jobs
Other general requirements
For Medical Treatment —
- A medical diagnosis from your doctor in Nigeria interpreting the nature of your illness and the reason you need treatment in the United States.
- A letter from a medical specialist in the United States about the readiness to treat this particular disease. They also need to include the details of the planned costs and expenses for treatment (including doctors’ fees, fees for hospitalization, and all medical expenses)
- Proof of payment for your medical care in the US
For anyone accompanying you —
- Original marriage certificate for your spouse and/or birth certificate for unmarried children under 21
Others include —
- A valid international passport
- Copies of recent passport photographs
- In the case of minors, a legal document dutifully signed by parents/ guardians authorizing the minor to travel to America
READ THIS: How to get an Argentina Visa in Nigeria – The easy way
How to easily apply for and obtain an American Visa in Nigeria
Follow this steps carefully to know how Nigerians apply for and obtain American visas easily:
NOTE: Applications can be done online through the US Department of State website, but you will be required to go to the embassy or consulate general here in Nigeria.
1. Complete the DS-160 form and submit the visa application online through the US Department of State website. Print out the barcoded confirmation page
2. Pay the non-refundable processing fee online or over the counter at a bank
3. Secure your payment receipt, as you will be asked to present it during the interview
4. Book an appointment online or call this number — (234) 1 440 6218. Make sure that these documents are available when booking your appointment:
- Your passport number
- Your fee payment receipt purchase date
- The 10-digit barcode number from your DS-160 confirmation page
5. Gather all the documents that supports your application
6. Attend your appointment at the US Embassy in Abuja or US Consulate General in Lagos. The following documents will be required from you at the interview:
- Your current and previous passports
- Appointment confirmation letter
- Barcoded DS-160 confirmation page
- Receipt of the visa application fee
- A colour photograph
7. After the interview wait for the feedback of the embassy. Your application can either be approved or denied.
If denied, you will be sent the reason for the decline and you are free to petition if you think the denial was unwarranted.
If approved, your passport with the visa will be delivered to the pick-up location you specified when you scheduled your appointment or couriered to your chosen address
U.S. EMBASSY IN NIGERIA
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive
Central District Area, Abuja
Email: [email protected]
08:00 – 16:00 | Monday To Friday.
U.S. CONSULATE GENERAL IN NIGERIA
2 Walter Carrington Crescent
Victoria Island, Lagos
Phone: (234) 1 460 3600
Email: [email protected]
07:00 – 16:00 | Monday to Thursday.
07:00 – 13:00 | Fridays.
With the processes given above, we have confidence that you can personally secure a U.S. travel Visa without any form of difficulty. Best of luck.