Table of Contents
Transportation Business Idea/Plan For Your New Business Startup in 2019
There was a time when traveling to Neibouring Eket, Abia, Calabar was always exciting. What about travelling to the Eastern Nigeria from the South –South which used to be a journey to remember. Those days of Brand New, high speeding Marcopolo Luxury Buses! Sitting in those buses while cruising the Ore-Benin Road used to be like a dream come true to many travelers, it used to be almost the same thing as taking a flight. The sheer beauty, the comfort and luxury is considered as second to none.
In those days, traveling with luxurious buses was like Christmas – you’d have so much fun traveling that you wish to travel again and again. Whenever the coach made a stopover at filling stations, you see well-dressed passengers coming out of the buses crunching bottles of Eva water, looking as if they just alighted from Emirates A360 jetliner.
With the pleasure and comfort it offers, you don’t care how much you pay. Everyone else in every other parts of the country had no choice but to either respect the Igbo travelers or envy them because of their mode of transportation and the plenty ‘Swagger’ it carries. Gradually, the buses began to die off and what used to be “The Pride of the East” now turn to “The Disgrace of the East”.
What Really Happened to Those Beautiful Buses?
Is it that the transport business is no longer profitable? Some, especially the operators would want to blame it on bad roads and high cost of fuel and diesel. They would want you to believe that the cost of running the business far outweigh the profit. That the buses cost a lot of money to acquire. These are valid reasons, but in business sense, no reason is valid enough to get a viable business grounded.
We are aware of the fact that this brand new buses cost quite a lot of money to buy considering the condition of Nigerian roads. Prices of the bus and the general road condition may probably be one of the reasons for its dead but the truth is that the transport business is still very profitable, far more profitable than the average businesses in Nigeria. So, I don’t believe that the price is what killed the fleets.
What killed those luxury buses and their unbeatable services is the same thing that kills everything in Nigeria – bad managements, poor maintenance culture, and greed. At a point in time, these transporters began to exploit their passengers. Instead of rendering consistent, good and quality services that guarantees sustained patronage, they resorted to taking advantage of their passengers.
First, they would adjust the seats and add extra line of seats, making it highly uncomfortable for the average legs let alone the tall ones. They would have you pay for a comfort ride only to over load the coach with traders consignment of goods just to make more and more money while their passengers are left to suffer for it without qualm nor care about the complains.
They starts discriminating against their own people – brand new buses will be put to Abuja while the old rickety ones are set for inter city transport, from Uyo to Eket, and Eket to Ona or calabar.
Steadily, passengers starts deserting the once loved luxury buses, preferring the smaller better maintained Toyota 14 seater buses. And the small buses simply took over and doesn’t seem ready to give up the lead anytime soon. It’s convenient, fast, and offers better customer services in some cases.
Why Transportation Business is Profitable and Hot in Demand
- There Is a Market for You-: As I mentioned above, there has always been need for transportation of passengers and goods from one place to another. This shows that there is market for your transport business; so it is not a new business niche you are to open.
- It Is Easier To Break Even In the Transport Industry-: As I mentioned above, there is a ready market for your services in the transport market. Also, it is easier to enter the market and break even. As much as there is competition in the market, there is enough demand to allow you break even in a short while.
- Few Risks-: There is this general assumption people have that the transport business is risky because of accidents, deaths and all that. The truth is that there are very few risks involved in the transport business and as long as you take an insurance that covers every party in the occurrence of an accident, then your business is covered.
Workers, students and businessmen residing in Akwa Ibom State and its environs are always traveling for one reason or the other. Specifically, based on our research, they are hungry and in need of new transport services because of the inefficiency, poor customer service and high cost of the existing ones. Delux Transport Service would be a great fit and balance for this task or dilemma, as no one or company in the region/area is offering it yet. Our Transport business would be one of its kinds in Akwa Ibom State.
With good management, good maintenance culture and excellent customer services, Delux Transport will offer dependable, well-timed, and safe transport services to its esteemed customers by using complete, efficient and affordable terminal, POS and ATM availability at the bus station, in-car credit and debit card access and Wi-Fi, along with computer-aided dispatch which is in line with current technology trend and innovation. We have secured a popular location which is highly strategic situated at Oron Road, along the Ibom International Airport,Uyo. Akwa Ibom State. This can be easily accessed by all citizens of Akwa Ibom state and visitors alike.
With our current location, we are well situated to serve virtually all the people in Akwa Ibom State and its environs. For workers, students, business men and women traveling to Eket, Oron, Aba, Abia,Calabar etc. Based on qualitative market research, it was gathered that from a population of approximately 2.5 million in Akwa Ibom state where half of the population is constantly engage in one business or education pursuit or the other. We expect more than 550 potential customers per day. Additionally, the cool human factor attached to innovative transportation, and the city’s strong population growth is a major success signal. We see a great opportunity here.
We have a unique offering, product and services, since no other transportation company in Akwa Ibom offers our kind of services. Our Delux transportation business will be first of its kinds in Akwa Ibom State. Although, there are plenty of other transport companies nearby, this include Young shall Grow, Eket Transcrow,Harmony Express, AKTC, God is Good Motors, Ola Express, and Abbey Line. But we differentiated ourselves by offering excellent customer services, good management and maintenance culture, use of POS & ATM at bus station, in-car credit/debit card payment option with availability of Wi-Fi, computer aided services for record purposes and an exceptional Global Positioning System (GPS) that pinpoints the nearest driver, thus allowing the driver to give an accurate ETA (Emergency Transport Assessment). What our competitors currently lacks.
Delux Transport is managed by highly experienced personnel. The Chairman: Mrs Nduke Monday is the Chairman of the company. She holds a B.Engr Electrical Engineering from University of Uyo, Akwa Ibom state. She is a member of the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN). She is also an astute business woman involved in supply and repairs of different kind of items.
Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer:- Mrs. Shakirat Shade Olanipekun is the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the company. She is a graduate of Agricultural Economics from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria. And also has an MBA from University of Ilorin. An accomplished entrepreneur she resigned from the Banking sector and went into full time business. She has experience in Transportation business because it’s her family business.
Delux Transport Drivers:- The head driver, Mr. Paul Okon is a retired Marcopolo/Bus Driver from AKTC, well experienced and ready to withdraw his other colleagues into the business. All these drivers are trained by GIGM (God is Good Motors)
Head of Research & Development: Christopher Abiodun Odoje has a B.Sc. in Mathematics from University of Ilorin, with a Post Graduate Diploma in Public Administration.
Receptionist and Accounts Personnel: Blessing Joseph has a National Diploma in Business Administration from University of Calabar. She is currently writing her final papers in the ICAN examination. She has a good knowledge of book keeping and accounting. She is to receive orders for the company and take other inquires about the services the company offer. She is also to record the account books; taking records of the income and expenditures.
Maintenance Team: We have a team whose duty amongst others should be to service our vehicles from time to time, and change damaged parts. These are the in- house mechanics.
Together we have come up with a fresh and novel transportation concept, and an ambitious but highly achievable plan to build it into thriving empire.
We are projecting sales of 582,240,000 in Nigerian Naira ($2,911,200) in the first year and 1,164,480,000 (Naira) ($5,822,400) in year 2 with a profit margin of 38.80%. That assumes that we receive 550 customers/passengers per day with our price ranging from 1,500 to 4,500 per passenger. Our co-founders/pioneer staff will draw only minimal salaries, starting from the 4th month, so we can reinvest our profits into growing the business. Operational and staff cost will be our biggest expenses but all that have been taken care of professionally.
The company’s goal is to build reputation and market share by establishing our business offering as a viable alternative to existing transport services in the area and Nigeria by extension. The company’s target in the next year is to chase an aggressive marketing campaign and from that, penetrate at least 60% of the market share. The company’s long-term goal is to be the top rated ground transportation company in Akwa Ibom State and by extension, in Nigeria.
Key components of Delux Transport Service initial strategy can be summarized as follows.
- Call center and customer service efficiency
- Management consulting
- Technology consulting
- Product management
- Continuous improvement
The mission of Delux Transport is to provide dependable, well-timed, consistent and safe transportation and delivery services by using comprehensive in-bus credit/debit card access machines and Wi-Fi, along with computer aided monitoring and recording dispatch.
Highlights of Delux Transport
- Technology. Delux Transport has an exceptional Global Positioning System (GPS) that pinpoints the nearest driver, thus allowing the driver to give an accurate ETA. What our competitors currently lacks.
- Credit/debit card payment system. This system will be the first of its kind in Ilorin (Kwara state), and is convenient for both the passenger and driver because approval is given instantly. The swipe machine is located in the back seat, giving the passenger privacy.
- Trademarks. Delux Transport Ltd with RC 460712 is a Limited Liability Company registered by the Corporate Affairs Commission on 11th September, 2002 under the Company and Allied Matters Act.
- Advertising. Delux Transport is already in advanced discussions with Akwa Ibom Radio and Television media services to provide advertising services and market research.
- Seasoned management. The company’s management is highly experienced and qualified and has extensive experience in the industry.
- Strategic relationships. The company has, and will continue to establish, relationships with organizations that will enhance professional growth. These alliances are valuable to Delux Transport because they allow us to get updates on technology, added tech support, and a strong presence in the market.
- Fashionable Computer system for Record and dispatch. Delux Transport has brand new desktop computer systems for accurate record keeping and transport monitoring.
- Good maintenance culture. We have our own in-house experienced mechanics that will do regular servicing of the buses and change damaged parts before taking off from the terminal.
- Availability of Wi-Fi. This enables customers to browse while on board.
We expect our strongest market segments to be business Professionals, Bankers, Students, Market men and women, Investors etc. and people who love spending holidays at Ilorin.
The Delux Transport strategy is to saturate the market with television advertisements depicting the company as a premier transport service. The company will leverage on the newest in commercial bus technology to dominate the credit/debit card and computer recording segment of the market. Delux Transport will dominate the market because no other company has these unique features.
The company’s strategy is to build reputation and market share in our target market by establishing our business offering as a viable alternative to existing commercial bus services. Delux Transport intends to get the confidence of customers and establish itself as a company that provides superior customer service by using up to date technology to provide timely and reliable services
The company recognizes that it is subject to both market and technological risks. The company’s view of its risks, as well as how each is being mitigated, is as follows:
- Lock out in industry for new transport companies. Our good management, good maintenance culture, excellent customer service with improved technology will always give us an edge above competitors anytime any day.
- Acquiring Insurance. Delux Transport will take a Comprehensive Insurance from a reputable insurance company that covers the buses and every party in occurrence of an accident. Then the business is covered.
- Tracking of Buses. We would install a vehicle tracker on our buses to keep track of their location in case of theft. A tracking system that can shut down the engine of the buses in case it has been stolen and on transit.
- Adequate facility. Delux Transport realizes that it is not easy to locate a facility with the liberty required for all operations. Delux Transport has found a facility with sufficient space for all operations. There is enough room to set up repair facilities, and there is adjacent space to store vehicles.
Delux Transport products and services offer the following advantages to customers:
- Delux Transport provides passengers with well packaged snacks, drinks and bottle water for comfort while on board.
- Availability of Lavatory. There is availability of Toilet facility and washbowl inside the buses.
- Entertainment System. Our buses are equipped with TVs and DVDs for all round customer’s entertainment.
- Availability of Wi- This enables customers to browse throughout their stay in the bus.
- Convenience. Delux Transport products and services provide the driver and the customer with the convenience of a credit/debit card system that gives instant approval.
- State-of-the-art Call Center. Delux Transport call center allows us to provide a timely service by picking up the closest vehicle when a call comes in. When a call comes in, it is put into the system, the system sends a message to dispatcher, the system then tags the closest vehicle in the zone.
- Well-equipped digital computer system. This is for easy records of all passengers travelling daily weekly and monthly with Delux Transport .
Our key customers include: Professionals, Business men and women, Students, Lecturers, Customized farmers, Investors, Bankers, Enterpreneurs. Etc
Delux Transport Service plans to respond to market needs by following up with passengers having one disability or the other. Wheel chair accessibility within the next 5 years. Delux Transport believes it can capture this niche and a considerable gain in overall market share. Additional plans for next generation products and services include rent to own options for our drivers. Introduction of the company’s next generation product and services is expected to be within 12 months.
Transportation business in Nigeria can be very profitable, looking at the fact that every single day thousands of people travel around the country. Delux Transport services will offer stat of the art business delivery transport service. Based on our strategic location which is closer to the International Airport, achieving high is positively realistic without doubts. Our management team will be working effortlessly and professionally to ensure that our aim is fully achieved. We currently have solid followers on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts. We have already commenced excellent, state-of -the -art advertising campaign with Akwa Ibom Television and Radio Media for effective reach out to the teaming population.
Our catalytic website will be launched in two months’ time to assist in effective delivery of service to all our esteem passengers/customers. Passengers can visit our online platform and make convenient bookings and payment at their leisure time. Mobile application will also be launched to facilitate and better assist us in satisfying our customers from the comfort of their homes..