Why Medical Bills Are a Leading Cause of Bankruptcy
Often, these little life surprises come when you are at your most vulnerable… such as in emergency situations or when your doctor/facility used out-of-network providers (according to a national study from Johns Hopkins University). For example, you may be treated in an in-network emergency room but that does not mean the doctors treating you are in your network. The opposite can also happen: your physician is in network but you are receiving treatment at an out of network facility. How would you ever know that?
400,000 Doctors Canvassed
The study suggests that because you do not select the doctors, you do not know ahead of time if they take your insurance. This shocks those who receive bills for hundreds or even thousands of dollars, months after the treatment, from providers unbeknownst to them!
400,000 doctors were canvassed across the US to rank the difference between the amount Medicare reimburses doctors for treatments and the amount charged to patients covered by other insurance, with no coverage at all or out of network treatment.
Medicare fee schedules were used as a baseline because insurance companies use those fees as a beginning point when calculating patient reimbursement out of network. The typical physician charges about 2.5 times the amount Medicare pays. However, the highest markups came from doctors not selected by the patient.
What Doctors Charge
The typical anesthesiologist, emergency physician, pathologist, neurosurgeon, ambulance, and radiologist charge at least four times the Medicare reimbursement (with anesthesiologists charging six times the amount on average).
The lowest markups are used by physicians that people usually see the most. These include general practice doctors, immunologists, dermatologists, psychiatrists, family practitioners and allergists. Their charge up is less than twice the Medicare rates. Regional differences were also noted. For example, doctors in Alaska and Wisconsin markup patient costs at about twice the rate of physicians in Hawaii and Michigan.
It is Getting Worse
As the healthcare system becomes more complicated, insurance companies may reduce reimbursement rates for contracted physicians (and facilities), which may cause doctors (and facilities) to opt out of the insurance network upon contract expiration. So, the doctor (and facility) who was in your network is now out of network.
As of Spring 2016, 23 states were working towards or already have consumer protections in place. Check your state’s Department of Insurance website for additional information.
Steps You Can Take
The best hedge against an unexpected medical bill balance is prevention and advocating for yourself by taking action before a bill ends up with a collection agency.
- Research, plan and prepare prior to an emergency situation.
- For non-emergency care, confirm treatment will be rendered by in network providers.
- When providing your insurance information, always refer to your plan by its full name. The majority of big insurers have sub plans that may or may not include providers in network.
- Maintain a communications documentation log.
- Ask for the names of the providers (or facilities) that will be involved in your care. Check with your insurance and the providers themselves to determine if they are in network vs. covered by your insurance.
- Check your state’s insurance regulation information to determine what consumer protections are in place against unexpected medical bill balances.
- Your insurance may state you don’t owe a balance; however, if a contract does not exist between your insurance and the provider, you may still owe the balance (if no state laws apply).
- If you find you owe the balance you may be able to negotiate with the provider to reduce the balance. Understand what the procedure’s average cost is in your area.
- If your insurance is through your employer, speak with your human resources department.
- Verify the provider truly is not in your insurance network.
UP NEXT TO READ
Join Over 400,000+ Readers Online Now.
♦ Subscribe NOW to Latest Information from 247amend via push Notification
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [Adverts@247amend.com] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
- Know the True Benefits of Payday or Bad Credit Loans in Canada
- How to stand out from so many bloggers through image optimization nowadays
- Savefromnet Review: Is It Safe to Download YouTube Videos
- 5 environmental apps you should start using today to save our future
- What Are the Best Websites for Audio File Uploading and Sharing?
- EFCC Recruitment 2020 Form Efccnigeria.org/efcc/career registration guide
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Review and 50% 0ff now
- What Is The Best Platform to Develop Web Applications?
- How to Download and Use the bolt app on Android phone(Bolt app,formally Taxify)
- How To Buy And Sell On Jiji.ng(Complete review of Jiji.ng website)
List of countries in South America
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”outlined” target=”” link=””]List of countries in South America[/button] List of countries in South America--This...
List of countries in North America
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]List of countries in North America[/button] Countries in North America-North America is a continent...
15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland 2019 for Student Worldwide
Table of Contents 15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland 2019 for Student Worldwide15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland...
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Review, Full Specifications and Price
Table of Contents Samsung Galaxy Note 10 ReviewFull SpecificationsAnnouncementPlatformNetwork and ConnectionsBodyDisplayStorageCameraSensorsBatteryColoursPriceOpinions Spread the love Get your hands on it! Samsung...
List of countries in Europe
Spread the love List of countries in Europe-Europe is a unique continent, which is not surrounded by water from all...
List of countries in Africa
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”outlined” target=”” link=””]List of countries in Africa[/button] Countries in Africa–Surrounded by water from all...
List of countries in Asia
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”round” target=”” link=””]Countries in Asia[/button] Countries in Asia-Being the largest continent in the world unlike Australia/Oceania...
List of countries in Australia / Oceania
Spread the love List of countries in Australia / Oceania Countries in Australia / Oceania–The smallest continent in the world,...
Full List of 7 continents of the world
Table of Contents [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]ASIA[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]NORTH AMERICA[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]SOUTH...
Top Highest Paid Footballers in Nigerian Professional Football League
Table of Contents [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]Top Highest Paid Footballers in Nigerian Professional Football League[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d”...
All Jobs Questions & Answers1 month ago
12 Nigerian Postal Service Job Responsibilities, Take Note!
Technology1 week ago
Mtn YouTube Streaming Plan: How to power all Apps
Education1 week ago
How to Find a Good Online College 2019 in United States
Blog3 weeks ago
Face App- Everything You Need To Know About The App
Latest Jobs4 weeks ago
Nigeria Customs Service Shortlisted Candidates 2019/2020 | Download PDF | NCS Shortlist | Customs Shortlisted Names 2019/2020
Business &Money3 weeks ago
Are you creative? Get N500m from UBA to push your music, tech or fashion business in 2020
Mobile phones1 month ago
How to Share Your Data bundle on MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile
Cryptocurrencies1 month ago
Top 10 Cryptocurrencies to Buy in 2019