How to Become a Scientist in Nigeria
Do you want to become a scientist? this guide will help you. Six out of ten growing children in Nigeria are having the desires to end up in the sciences, either as medical scientist, biological scientist or one thing or the other that is science related. But, a survey run on young adults in the university or adults in their field of endeavors shows that four out of the six children whose intentions was to be in the sciences while growing up had grown up into adapting into other fields for one reason or the other.
In view of this, and the decline to the achievement of dreams and purpose, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to intimate you on how to become a scientist in Nigeria. We hope you find the rest worthwhile.
Who is a scientist?
In the true sense of things, A scientist is someone who conducts scientific research to advance knowledge in an area of interest. But for an average Nigerian parent, a scientist is that person who ended up making their parents happy by their choice of profession and giving the parents bragging rights amidst their peers. Well, make that a fun fact.
Becoming a Scientist in Nigeria
To become a scientist in Nigeria, the following are the needed starter packs;
- Take introductory technology, Basic Science and Mathematics extremely seriously in Junior class at high school or secondary school.
- Upon getting promotion into the senior secondary class after making JSSCE, join the science class and become excellent at Chemistry, Physics, Further Mathematics and Mathematics.You’ll need to be well-specialized in mathematics. Scientists in the physical sciences use a great deal of mathematics, particularly algebra, calculus and analytical geometry, while those in the biological sciences use math less often. All scientists need a working knowledge of statistics, too.
- Consider going to science camp during secondary school. You’ll do more intensive projects than you do in your regular science classes in school.
- Develop an analytical mind, learn to see issues from angles other than the supposed presented angles.
- Pick a science course to major in once in the university and give it your utmost best for the purpose of achieving the set target.
- Graduate the university in flying colors.
- Keep your knowledge up-to-date.During your decade and more of education (and your career), it’s wise to keep up-to-date in your field and related others by attending conferences and reading peer-reviewed journals. Science is constantly changing – in the blink of an eye you could be left behind.
In smaller fields (and some larger ones), you’ll get to know all the names in these journals. Reading them will let you know who you should ask for research help or favors when the time comes.
With the right contributions from diligent studies and rigorous improvement on knowledge base, you are on the path of definitely making your family proud, making your own contributions to the field of science and making cool money from your knowledge.
Thanks for dropping in, should you have any additional information kindly use the comment box below