Table of Contents
How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone
Losing or mistakenly deleting important text messages is a situation many people find themselves in every now and then. This could be unintentionally done by you, or erroneously by someone else trying to access your iPhone. If you have lost or deleted an important message on your iPhone you may be able to recover it if you follow these tips. Read on to discover the helpful tips we have included in this article.
We have churned out 5 very useful working methods and tips that have proven to be efficient in recovering lost or deleted messages on iPhones of all versions. Depending on your situation, some of these methods might not work for you. But make sure you try out other listed methods to get the best one for you.
The following options are available for you if you’re intending to bring back an important message which is missing on your iPhone.
- Recovery from an iCloud backup
- Recovery from the iCloud website
- Recovery from an iTunes backup
- Recovery by the use of a third-party app
- Contact your phone/service provider
- Samsung Galaxy s10 vs iPhone 11 pro Comparison 2019
- Apple iPhone 11 Review, Full specifications, and Price
- IPhone XS Max with tempered glass Review
1. How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone from iCloud backup
If you have an iCloud account, then this might be the best option for you. To utilize this option as a method of recovering lost or deleted messages on your iPhone, you need to have an iCloud backup of your iPhone.
If you have a backup of your iPhone on iCloud, open the Settings app, tap on your name at the top, select iCloud > Manage Storage> Backups.
Check to see if there’s an existing backup data that could contain the deleted text messages you are looking for. You can see what date the backup was saved by tapping on the backup once.
To restore a backup data, bear in mind that every other document not included in the backup will be lost, as this process involves a factory reset on your iPhone. You can save copies of your pictures, videos, and other important data before carrying out this procedure.
To restore your iPhone to factory settings, go to General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. This may take a few minutes. You will be provided the option to recover your device from an old backup. Endeavour you choose the correct backup which contains the lost message you’re looking to recover.
This method has worked for us. But it may not work for you particularly because you forgot to backup your text messages, that is why we also have the next method which also works just fine.
2. How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone from iCloud Website
For many people, this is one of the easiest way to recover lost or deleted text messages on. It doesn’t require you to have a backup on iCloud, on your iPhone. But instead, you go to the iCloud website and sign in with your iCloud account with the following procedures:
- Log into icloud.com with your Apple ID and password
- Click on Text Messages. (If it isn’t there, your messages haven’t been backed up here – so skip this)
- If you find text messages there, search them to find the ones you need
- Go to your iPhone and choose Settings > [your name] > iCloud
- Turn off Text Messages. You will see a popup of options. Select: ‘Keep on My iPhone’
- Now turn text messages back on, and tap ‘Merge’, and wait. After a few minutes the deleted text messages should reappear on your iPhone
It’s really easy, right?
3. How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone from an iTunes backup
It could be possible that you have backed up your iPhone to iTunes on Mac or PC. If this is the case, there’s a good chance that you can recover lost or deleted text messages from iTunes. This method will overwrite data on your phone. So make sure you save the most important documents and data before proceeding with the following steps:
- Connect your iPhone to the computer you used to sync with
- Open iTunes (if it fails to open automatically)
- Select the iPhone icon that appears in the top left corner
- Choose Restore Backup
- All your backed up data will replace the current data on your phone after a few minutes of working out
Your lost or deleted text messages should now appear on your phone’s messaging list, unless you backed up after losing the messages you’re searching for, so you can try the next method below.
4. How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone by using a third-party app
This is a working alternative way to recover lost or deleted text messages on your iPhone.
Third-party apps refer applications or softwares that were developed by someone or persons other than the original maker of your iPhone or the iOS. There are many of such apps in the market, and some are more reliable than the others. In random order, they include options such as Dr. Fone WonderShare, PhoneRescue, TenorShare Data Recovery, Enigma Recovery, Eazy Recovery by eazy apps, and many more. Using some of these third-party apps may cost a few bucks, but nevertheless you’re welcome to enjoy an efficient service.
For these apps to work, we advice you to act swiftly, as soon as you delete text messages, or as soon as you notice that one or more messages are missing from your iPhone. These apps are more efficient in recovering lost or deleted text messages on IPhone if they are used as soon as possible.
Also bear in mind that depending on the third-party app and duration of time since a text message has been deleted from your iPhone, this method may not be effective. You can proceed to try out the last method below.
5. How to recover lost or deleted text messages on iPhone by contacting your service provider
This is the last method we have experimented with, and discovered it to be a very useful way of getting back a missing text on iPhone. If you have been unlucky with the other methods above, you might just have to contact your phone provider as the last lifeline. Some phone providers (not all) keeps records of customers text messages, and upon request, you can have your own record. To go about this, simply contact customer services, and luck might be just right by your side.
- Galaxy S9 and S9+ Review: The Android Phones to Beat
- Review of Huawei P20
- 5 Notable Differences Between Samsung Phones and iPhones
- Samsung Galaxy A6+ (2018) Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Review, Full Specifications and Price
- Apple IPhone 11 Pro Max DualSim With FaceTime 512GB Gold-HK Specs
Are there any other methods you have used in successfully recovering lost or deleted text messages on iPhone? Let us know in the comments box.
You can also contact us for further information or personal assistance on how to go about the processes above by leaving your comments below, or your email so that we can contact you directly.