Starch, also known as amylum, is a tasteless and odorless white powder. While starch is the most common carbohydrate found in the human diet, it is also used at an industrial scale to synthesize beer, whiskey, and biofuels. Starch is an important part of the paper-making process as well.
The global starch market is currently growing at a CAGR of 4.4 percent and is expected to be worth $11.1 billion by the year 2020.
Global Starch Market Overview
The Supply-Demand Dynamics
- At the helm of 2019, the starch industry produced approximately 85 MMT of starch. In terms of market consumption, the sweetener industry accounted for consuming 53 percent of the total production, while 36 percent starch was utilized in native starch applications, and the modified starch industry used up the remaining 11 percent.
- Depending on the intended end-use, industries today use a variety of starch products, such as pregelatinized starch, Dextrins, low viscosity starch, cross-linked starch, oxidized starch, etherified starch, esterified starch, hydrolyzed starch, and combination starches. Hydrolyzed starch is widely used in instant-energy drinks.
- The largest starch suppliers in the current industry landscape are Meihua Holdings Group Co, Cargill Inc, Showa Sangyo Co Limited, Wilmar International Limited, Shandong Long-Live Biotech, AGRANA, and Pepees.
- The top ten starch suppliers control a whopping 65 percent share in the starch industry. This near oligarchy can be attributed to the fact that the supply capacity of starch manufacturers in emerging markets is not nearly enough to take care of the domestic demand. Further, smaller suppliers will require time to scale-up to meet this capacity. On the other hand, well-established corporations from saturated domestic markets, have the right resources and well-established channels to scale up and satiate the emerging demand.
- The biggest starch suppliers are situated in the U.S., China, Germany, Asia, and some regions of the EU. The U.S. produces approximately 30 percent of the global starch. Closely following, China manufactures around 28 percent of the global starch supply.
- The highest demand, approximately 50 percent of the net demand for starch, comes from the sweetener industry and other industries using sweeteners widely, generally in the food and beverage sector. The biggest markets for sweetener starch are North America (largest by both volume and value), the U.S., China, parts of Asia, and some regions of the EU. India and Indonesia are the largest starch importers, importing mainly from the North American and European suppliers.
Trends in the Starch Industry
- The sweetener industry will continue leading the demand for starch as the demand grows across the globe. Cornstarch will continue to be the most widely produced starch variant.
- In the coming years, the Asian starch demand will grow at a rate higher than the rest of the world due to its emerging economies and the birth of a greater number of potential markets for consumer products.
- Most of the countries in Asia have an emerging or developing economy. Consequently, the purchasing power of end-product consumers is rising, and there is an ever-increasing demand for textile, food, and paper industry sectors in the Asian economies; all of which use starch extensively. This phenomenon would drive up the demand for starch significantly in the Asian market.
- Further, the global demand for High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) will also prove to be a strong driving force in the future demand for starch.
- The regions with the highest demand-supply gap for starch are China, India, Indonesia, and Germany. The colossal demand-supply gap, recently relaxed regulations and laws, and increased interest in investment in starch products in these regions makes them perfect for a new entrant to set up their facility.
- While the supply in the North American region and EU is more than domestic demand, the global demand balances out this oversupply. Further, the manufacturing facilities in the Asian region are slated to start operations 2021 onwards. By then, the current demand will still supersede supply capabilities. North American ventures are hence positioned to profit tremendously due to their unique ability to scale-up and service the growing market. Therefore, investing in a North American manufacturer is an investor’s best bet as of now.
- As an industry standard, the usual contract period between a starch supplier and the procurer may range between three months to six months. Long-term starch procurement contracts are not standard even though some long-term contracts may exist. Such short-term contracts enable procurers to look for competitive prices and ensure that none of the current players can bind down the market for long.
The global starch market is set to grow at an impressive pace. Since the highest demand is from economies that are still growing, it is safe to assume that the growth is well-sustainable. Now is an investor’s best chance to invest in the sector as more players are entering the starch market, and the existing players are amping up their capabilities.
Join Over 400,000+ Readers Online Now.
♦ Subscribe NOW to Latest Information from 247amend via push Notification
Copyright Warning: Contents on this website may not be republished, reproduced, redistributed either in whole or in part without due permission or acknowledgement. All contents are protected by DMCA.
The content on this site is posted with good intentions. If you own this content & believe your copyright was violated or infringed, make sure you contact us at [Adverts@247amend.com] to file a complaint and actions will be taken immediately.
- Know the True Benefits of Payday or Bad Credit Loans in Canada
- How to stand out from so many bloggers through image optimization nowadays
- Savefromnet Review: Is It Safe to Download YouTube Videos
- 5 environmental apps you should start using today to save our future
- What Are the Best Websites for Audio File Uploading and Sharing?
- EFCC Recruitment 2020 Form Efccnigeria.org/efcc/career registration guide
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Review and 50% 0ff now
- What Is The Best Platform to Develop Web Applications?
- How to Download and Use the bolt app on Android phone(Bolt app,formally Taxify)
- How To Buy And Sell On Jiji.ng(Complete review of Jiji.ng website)
List of countries in South America
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”outlined” target=”” link=””]List of countries in South America[/button] List of countries in South...
List of countries in North America
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]List of countries in North America[/button] Countries in North America-North America is a...
15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland 2019 for Student Worldwide
Table of Contents 15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland 2019 for Student Worldwide15 Best Study Abroad Programs In Finland...
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Review, Full Specifications and Price
Table of Contents Samsung Galaxy Note 10 ReviewFull SpecificationsAnnouncementPlatformNetwork and ConnectionsBodyDisplayStorageCameraSensorsBatteryColoursPriceOpinions Spread the love Get your hands on it!...
List of countries in Europe
Spread the love List of countries in Europe-Europe is a unique continent, which is not surrounded by water from...
List of countries in Africa
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”outlined” target=”” link=””]List of countries in Africa[/button] Countries in Africa–Surrounded by water from...
List of countries in Asia
Spread the love [button color=”” size=”” type=”round” target=”” link=””]Countries in Asia[/button] Countries in Asia-Being the largest continent in the world unlike...
List of countries in Australia / Oceania
Spread the love List of countries in Australia / Oceania Countries in Australia / Oceania–The smallest continent in the...
Full List of 7 continents of the world
Table of Contents [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]ASIA[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]NORTH AMERICA[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]SOUTH...
Top Highest Paid Footballers in Nigerian Professional Football League
Table of Contents [button color=”” size=”” type=”3d” target=”” link=””]Top Highest Paid Footballers in Nigerian Professional Football League[/button][button color=”” size=”” type=”3d”...
All Jobs Questions & Answers1 month ago
12 Nigerian Postal Service Job Responsibilities, Take Note!
Technology1 week ago
Mtn YouTube Streaming Plan: How to power all Apps
Education1 week ago
How to Find a Good Online College 2019 in United States
Blog3 weeks ago
Face App- Everything You Need To Know About The App
Latest Jobs4 weeks ago
Nigeria Customs Service Shortlisted Candidates 2019/2020 | Download PDF | NCS Shortlist | Customs Shortlisted Names 2019/2020
Business &Money3 weeks ago
Are you creative? Get N500m from UBA to push your music, tech or fashion business in 2020
Mobile phones1 month ago
How to Share Your Data bundle on MTN, Glo, Airtel and 9mobile
Cryptocurrencies1 month ago
Top 10 Cryptocurrencies to Buy in 2019