The Nigerian Correctional Service(NCS)Formally Nigerian Prison Service Current News 2019/2020-Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) Jobs & Vacancies
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) formally known as Nigerian Prison service (NPS) is a government agency of Nigeria which operates prisons. The agency is headquartered in Abuja,[and it is under the supervision of the Ministry of the Interior and the Civil Defence Immigration and Prisons Board .
According to Punch, Grand commander of the federal republic of Nigeria, President Muhammadu Buhari signed the Nigerian Correctional Service Bill into law.
The Act repeals the Nigerian Prisons Service Act.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on National Assembly Matters (Senate), Ita Enang, disclosed this to State House correspondent in Abuja on Wednesday.
With the signing, the Nigerian Prisons Service will now be called the Nigerian Correctional Service.
The Nigerian correctional service is first of it kind, and Nigeria will be the first country to change its prison service to a correctional service. The Nigerian correctional service, formally Nigerian prison service (NPS) is an agency operated by the Federal Government of Nigeria, right from the headquarters in Abuja.
The Nigerian Correctional Service(NCS)Formally Nigerian Prison Service Current News 2019/2020
Currently at the helm of affaisrs in the Nigerian Correctional Service is the Head of the NPS which is the Controller-General of the Nigerian Prisons Service. He is the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the formulations and implementation of penal policies in Nigeria. He is responsible to the President through the Minister of Interior and the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board which the Minister heads. But in matters of prison policy he takes direct responsibility for policy implementation.
He is assisted by six (6) Deputy Controllers-General (DCGs) who head the six broad administrative divisions called Directorates into which the Service is broken for efficient management.
Summary of Inmate in the Nigerian Correctional service Population and by Convict awaiting Trial as at 22nd July, 2019
|Total Inmate population:||73,995|
|Total Male Population:||72,506|
|Total female population:||1,489|
|Total Convicted Prisoners:||23,568|
|Convicted Male Prisoners:||23,223|
|Convicted Female Prisoners:||345|
|Total Awaiting Trial Prisoners:||50,427|
|Awaiting Trial Males:||49,283|
|Awaiting Trial Females:||1,144|
|Convicted Prisoners: ||23,568(32%)|
|Awaiting Trial Prisoners:||50,427(68%)|
Nigerian Correctional Service, formally Nigerian Prisons Service recruitment general requirements
- Interested candidates must be able to present GCE O’Level, SSCE or equivalent certificates, with a minimum of five (5) credits (English compulsory) in not more than two (2) sittings or Trade Test Grade II. Certificates (Artisans, Motor drivers, Mechanics, Auto Electricians, Plumbers, Carpenters, Masons, etc.)
- Applicants must be of Nigerian nationality by birth and must be able to provide adequate proof of nationality.
- All qualifications and certificates must tendered during application, because any one not presented and accepted during recruitment shall not be accepted after the recruitment.
- Applicants must be medically fit and be able to provide backing evidence/medical reports.
- Interested candidates must must not have been convicted of any criminal offences.
- Members of any Secret Society, Cults or Drug Addicts etc. are not permitted to apply
- Applicants must be between ages of 18 and 30 years
- Male applicants must not be less than 1.65m while female applicants must not be less than 1.60m.
- Male applicants must have a chest measurement not below 0.87m.
- Prior computer skills will provide a huge boost.
- Applicants must not be financially embarrassed.
In addition to all that, make sure to print out the Referee forms which must be duly completed for submission during screening Also, the Nigerian prison service permits only one application per candidate. Therefore, anyone who applies multiple time will automatically get disqualified.