The Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) is delighted to announce the seventh annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta, Imo and Bayelsa States. The objective of the scheme is to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from these Niger Delta states to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
In the six years of this programme, 60 students have won the opportunity to study at top rated universities in the UK on an all-expenses paid scholarship.
For the academic year commencing September, 2017, SPDC in partnership with three universities in the UK-Imperial College London, University College, London and the University of Leeds will award ten scholarships for one year post-graduate MSc studies.
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2017
The following courses qualify for award of scholarships at the three institutions
Imperial College London
University College London
University of Leeds
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display sound intellectual ability and leadership potentials
- Meet the individual universities’ English Language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS score valid for Sept. 2017 admission). Please note that TOEFL is no longer recognised by most UK universities. Candidates are advised that failure to meet each university’s English Language requirement at the time of selection may invalidate their application.
- Be aged between 21-28 years by 30/09/2017
- Have obtained a university degree (at least of equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours degree)
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a Nigerian international passport valid to end December 2018
- Be neither a current nor former employee (who has left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC or the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria
- Be an indigene of Rivers, Delta, Imo or Bayelsa states (documentary proof of this will be required and will be verified)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return to Nigeria on completion of the proposed programme of study
How to Apply
- Submit application for admission to the any of the prospective universities for any of the above qualifying courses
- Application forms for the scholarship will ONLY be available through the websites of the participating universities following an offer of admission by the university
- Universities will process applications and select candidates to attend interviews before being considered for final selection
- Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities not later than 30th January 2017.
Follow the links below to reach participating universities:
- The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one economy return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only*.
- More information on specific course admission requirements can be obtained from the websites of the individual universities.
- Please note that the stipends are based on the Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU) published living rates and are limited to this only
- This is a non-committal scholarship. Note that NEITHER SPDC NOR any of its affiliate companies is obligated to offer employment of any sort to any candidate upon graduation neither are successful candidates bonded to SPDC for any period of time on account of the scholarship award.
Click Here for More Information
Application Deadline 31st January, 2017.