Agricultural Science Examination Questions for Secondary School Students in SS3|Second Terminal Examination Questions
- English Studies Examination Questions for JSS2
- English Studies Examination Questions for JSS2
- Examination Questions for Senior Secondary School SS2|
- Civic Education Examination Questions for Junior Secondary School JSS1
SECOND TERM’S EXAMINATION
SUBJECT: Agricultural Science
CLASS: SS 3 TIME: 2½HRS
- A farmer receives a non-repayable amount of money for 5 years in terms of reduction in the price of tractor from a government agency is said to have a received
(a) agricultural dividend (b) grant (c) long-term liability (d) medium-term credit (e) subsidy
- Which of these explains the term liquidity in Agribusiness?
(a) The amount of cash reserve owned by the farm business (b) The financial readiness of a business to meet its immediate obligations (c) The monetary value of all assets in a business (d) The net value of all current and fixed assets (e) The value of assets left after setting all the liabilities of a farm business.
Use the information below to answer question 3 – 4
management of Seun Int’l Farms purchased two tractors for
N32,500 each in 1974. At the end of 1984, they sold one tractor for N20,000 to a peasant farmer who
deposited N12,000 to them before
completing the cost price with N8,000at
the end of 1985.
- What is the salvage value of the tractor sold in 1984?
N8,000 (b) N12,000 (c) N20,000 (d) N32,500 (e) N65,000
- The management of Seun Int’l Farms serviced the second tractor before selling it at 20% increase of the salvage value of the first tractor in 1986. Calculate the depreciation value for the second tractor.
N560 (b) N650
(c) N708 (d) N805 (e) N900
- The price of an agricultural produce will be relatively low when it passes through which of these channels?
(a) Assembler retailer consumer
(b) Assembler wholesaler consumer
(c) Producer wholesaler consumer
(d) Producer commodity board consumer
(e) Wholesaler retailer consumer
- A maize farmer obtains a loan of
N120,000 at an interest rate of 9% to be repaid in one year. Calculate the interest to be paid on the loan.
(b) N13,333 (c) N109,200 (d) N130,800 (e) N1,080,000
- In adoption process which of these is used in determining the usefulness of an innovation
(a) Adoption (b) Awareness (c) Evaluation
- Subsidies are given to farmers in form of (a) reduced prices of inputs (b) provision of social infrastructure (c) high tariff on imported inputs (d) short-term loans
- Which of the following agents is not involved in agricultural marketing?
(a) Commodity Boards (b) Money Lenders (c) Retailers (d) Middlemen
- Farm records and account help the farm to
(a) manage his farm as a business (b) repairs his tools and machinery (c) adopt modern techniques of farming (d) make good sales
- A farmer uses his agricultural loans for the following except
(a) marketing his crops (b) paying for seeds (c) purchasing drugs for livestock (d) paying labour wages
- An hectare of land is
(a) 10,000cm2 (b) 1,000m2 (c) 5,000m2 (d) 10,000m2
- Farmers often find it difficult to obtain loans from banks because they
(a) have no guarantors (b) have no collaterals (c) lack technical knowhow (d) have no tax clearance
- The practice of progeny selection involves selecting breeding stock on the basis of the
(a) performing of offspring (b) parental characteristics (c) individual merit of each animal (d) preventing of abortion
- Exposing farmers to scientific knowledge is the responsibility of the
(a) Research Institute (b) Farm Settlers (c) Extension Personnel (d) Agro-Service Centres
- Genetic characteristics are passed from parents to offspring through the
(a) blood (b) placenta (c) gene (d) umbilical cord
- “Chewing of cud” by ruminant animals is explained as
(a) chewing the substance called ‘cud’ from pastures (b) regurgitation ingested feed for proper mastication before swallowing (c) churning of the ingested feed by the complex stomach (d) grinding and chewing of pastures and concentrates at the same time.
- Oestus period is the time when female animal is
(a) Ready for mating (b) Not ready for mating (c) Nursing her young (d) Gestating
- Farmers may find it difficult to obtain loan from a commercial bank is; they
(a) have no farm records (b) have other business (c) are illiterates (d) employ family labour
- Soil can be exposed to erosion when a pasture is
(a) fenced (b) over-grazed (c) under grazed (d) paddocked
- The cross section of soil segment showing different layers is known as
(a) profile (b) structure (c) texture (d) horizon
- The gradual washing of mineral salts from the upper to the lower layer of the soil by rain us called
(a) erosion (b) irrigation (c) drainage (d) terracing
- Pasteurization of milk involves the use of
(a) cold (b) heat (c) sunshine (d) electricity
- Any organism which causes destruction, disturbance or discomfort to another organism is called
(a) disease (b) parasite (c) pest (d) symbiotic organism
- When a cockerel is castrated it becomes a
(a) capon (b) cock (c) pullet (d) layer
- Night blindness in animals is caused by deficiency of
(a) vitamin E (b) vitamin A (c) vitamin B (d) calcium
- The feed given to an animals to prevent either an increase or a decrease in live weight is termed
(a) maintenance (b) production (c) steaming up (d) balance
- The main component of egg shell is
(a) Calcium (b) Magnesium (c) Nitrogen (d) Sodium
- The factors of production include the following except
(a) marketing (b) labour (c) capital (d) land
- Which of the following structures does not serve as a protective function?
(a) Hoof (b) Skin (c) Bone (d) Feather
- The business aspect of agriculture is termed (a) Agricultural Extension (b) Agricultural Economics (c) Animal Science (d) Soil Science
- Which of the following is not a nursing crop?
(a) fluted pumpkin (b) pepper (c) oil palm (d) tomatoes
- All these are materials used in livestock feed except
(a) blood meal (b) fish meal (c) bone meal (d) chicks guards
- Which of these animals does not suckle her young ones?
(a) pig (b) fish (c) sheep (d) cattle
- Roughages supplies sufficient
(a) fibre (b) grain (c) protein (d) fats
- Earthworm is important to the farmer because it
(a) improves soil texture (b) improves soil structure (c) checks soil erosion (d) destroys soil pathogens
- Farmers practice mixed farming because they can
(a) easily secure loan to expand their farms (b) specialize in either the growing of crops or rearing of animals (c) use the manure from animals to fertilize their crops (d) easily controls pests and diseases on their farms
- The farm power is most adaptable to farm operations in West Africa is
(a) animals power (b) wind power (c) human power (d) solar power
- The following crops required staking except
(a) tomato (b) yam (c) pumpkin (d) guinea corn
- Rural farmers mostly obtain loans from
(a) Government (b) International Monetary Fund (c) Merchant Banks (d) Money Lenders
- Selecting crop plant as the basis of the performance of their offspring is known as
(a) pedigree selection (b) progeny selection (c) pure line selection (d) mass selection
- New born animals should be fed with colostrums because
(a) it is easily digested (b) contains antibodies protecting them against diseases (c) it is the first milk produced before birth (d) provides them permanent immunity against diseases
- Farm accounts help the farm to
(a) manage the farm as a business (b) acquire skills for tools maintenance (c) keep records (d) adopts modern farming techniques
- Rural farmers mostly obtain loans from
(a) Government (b) International Monetary Fund (c) Merchant Bank (d) Money Lenders
- Artificial scarcity of agricultural produce is often caused by the following marketing agents except
(a) farmers (b) wholesalers (c) middlemen (d) co-operatives
- Which of the following refers to a farm accounting entry?
(a) inventory livestock on the farm (b) loss of animal (c) value of crop produced (d) area of land covered by farm labour
- Records of money transactions in the farming business are termed
(a) farm inputs (b) farm accounts (c) capital (b) farm liabilities
- Which of the following constitutes subsidy in agricultural enterprise?
(a) supply fertilizer to farmers at reduced price (b) borrowing of money from a thrift society (c) provision of money to farmers through commercial banks (d) provision of services through cooperative societies
- Which of the following methods of agricultural extension aims at reaching a large number of farmers at the same time
(a) mass method (b) group method (c) individual method (d) contact method
- The source of farm credit which is interest free is
(a) a commercial bank (b) an agricultural and cooperative bank (c) a money lender (d) self financing
- Farm financing may be obtained from the following except
(a) commercial banks (b) agricultural insurance scheme (c) mortgage banks (d) saving and thrift societies
- The difference between total assets and total liabilities of a farm enterprise within a specified period before taxation is known as
(a) net profit (b) liability (c) current asset (d) net worth
- The type of bee with highest honey production per year is called
(a) Apis dorsata (b) Apis flora (c) Apis mellifera (d) Apis melipona
- An apiarist is
(a) a place where bees are kept (b) a bee keeper (c) a bee propolis (d) a bee keeping equipment
- Which of these is a humble device that directs smoke from the fuel chamber into the hive
(a) veil (b) feeder (c) hive tool (d) smoker
- A market for raising medium-term and long-term loans for agricultural business is called
(a) Agricultural financing (b) Capital market (c) Non-institutional credit (d) Merchant bank
- Wax from bee is used mainly for
(a) production of candle wax (b) protection of trees (c) pollination (d) food
- A tractor with an expected life of 10years was bought for Le 15.0m at the end of which it was to be sold for Le 1.0m. Its calculated depreciation is
(a) Le 1.4m (b) Le 1.5m (c) Le1.6m (d) Le 1.7m
- Determine the cost price of a farm equipment
that has a salvage value of
N500,000.00, a useful life of 10 years and annual depreciation of N400,000.00
(b) N900,000.00 (c) N4,500,000.00 (d) N5,500,000.00
- Calculate the annual depreciation of a farm machinery with a total depreciation of D63,000 and useful life of 5 years
(a) D6,300.00 (b) D9, 450.00 (c) D12, 600.00 (d) D18,900.00
1a. State eight reasons why agriculture has not been fully mechanized in West Africa
b. List four characteristics of each of:
(i) Subsistence Agriculture
(ii) Commercial Agriculture
2a. State three methods of irrigating a small nursery
b. Enumerate three factors to be considered in the choice of each of
(i) Surface Irrigation Method
(ii) Subsurface Irrigation Method
c. State two advantages of surface irrigation
d. Enumerate five ways by which the build up of diseases could be reduced on an irrigated farm.
3a. Describe the construction of a fish pond.
b. State eight measures necessary for the efficient operation of an egg incubator.
4a. State the methods of calculating depreciation of farm machines
b. List four roles of capital in agricultural production.
c. Explain five major roles played by middlemen in the marketing of agricultural produce.
5a. List four marketing agents
(i) four characteristics of cooperative societies in agriculture
(ii) four advantages of cooperative societies in agriculture
c. State five importance of marketing in agriculture
d. In what four ways can the marketing of agricultural produced be encouraged
6a. Briefly explain three species of bees
b. List five precautionary measures in bee keeping
7a. State three roles of capital market in the development of agric-business
b. briefly explain the three classification of credit.
ALSO CHECK OUT==>