CLASS: JSS3 SUBJECT: Basic Technology TIME: 2 ½HOURS
Instructions: Answer all questions in SECTION A and FIVE questions in SECTION B. marks will be awarded to neatness in draughmanship . Each question in Section A is followed by four options, choose the correct option for each question and shade the correct answer corresponding to the option you have chosen in your answer sheet.
- All these are engineering materials EXCEPT _____ A. Plastic and rubber Wood C. Metal D. Ductility
- One of the following is NOT a ceramic product Gravel B. Glass C. Water closet D. Tiles
- Highly developed technology makes use of the following EXCEPT _____ A. Mower Grinding machine C. Hoe D. Pay loader
- In isometric drawing ____ are laid out along the three axes Length and depth B. Length and width C. Length and height D. Length, width and height
- Drawing paper is placed squarely the drawing board with the aid of _____ A. tee-square Scale rule C. Set-square D. template
- Which of the diagram below represent the plan of the object below?
- C. D.
- Which of these plastics can be remelted A. Plasticine Synthetic C. Thermoset D. thermoplastic
- The angle of inclination of an oblique solid drawing is ____ A. 900 300 C. 600 D. 450
- Which of these element emits electrons in diode valve? A. Cathode Heater C. Triode D. Anode
- One of the difference between rubber and plastic is that rubber is more A. Tougher Cheaper C. Elastic D. Malleable
- In the diagram above, the view pointed by the arrow to part “A” is known as _____ view Plane B. End C. Plan D. Front
- Identify vertex from the plane figure drawn below
- The method of boring holes on a material is referred to as ____ A. Forging Drilling C. Upsetting D. Casting
- All of the following are good reasons for wood finished EXCEPT ____
- Hygiene B. Varnishes C. Decoration D. Beauty.
- The following are materials for good wood finished EXCEPT ____ A. Vanishes Polish C. Valium D. Creosote
- Which of the following is a rhomboid
- B. C. D.
- A rectifier is a device used to A. Covert high voltage to low voltage Convert alternating current to direct current C. increase current flow D. Stabilizes flow of electricity
- Maintenance of all engineering systems is mainly to _____ A. Prevent machine from making noise Allow machine to last forever C. Keep machine in good working condition D. Makes the machine to move at high speed
- Another name for synthetic rubber is A. Plastic Latex C. Nylon
- The electronic device that convert AC to DC is called _____ A. Diode
- Resistor C. Inductor D. Transistors
- On the component drawn above letter K represents _____ A. Emitter Base C. Collector D. Palarise
- Electron strucks on material surface to product light is referred to a ____ emission Field B. Thermonoic C. Photo D. Secondary
- An electronic device that amplifies current in a circuit is called ______ A. Inductor Transistor C. Diodes D. Triode
- The portion on the drawing paper set aside for necessary information such as size, name, date of drawing is called the ____ A. Title block Margin space C. Information table D. Drawing space
- The hand tool drawn below is basically used for ____ A. Packing Rendering C. Digging D. Filing
- The number of principal planes of projection in orthographic drawing is ____ A. 5 4 C. 3 D. 2
- Which of the following symbols represents a transistor?
- B. C. D.
- A simple of wood weighs 60g before and 40g after drying. What is the percentage moisture content of the wood? A.250% 150% C.100% D. 50%
- The type of maintenance carried out by a man who often sends his car for servicing is known as ____ A. Corrective Predictive C. Preventive D. Overhauling
- In forged work, the device used in producing heat is called _________ A. Blast furnace Kiln C. Oven D. Electric arc
- A method by which electrons are liberated by the use of light is called ____ A. Secondary emission Photo-electric emission C. Primary emission D. Thermionic emission
- Which of the following is NOT a safety process in the workshop? A. Wear goggle when grinding metal Weld in a well ventilated area
- Put sharp edge object around working area D. Do not remove chips while machine is on.
- The figure shown below is ______
- Polygon Prism C. Pyramid c. Tetrahedron
- Which of the following serves as binding agent in concrete? A. Cement B. Sand Store D. water
- The following methods are used for processing plastics EXCEPT ____ A. Calendering Moulding C. Vacuum D. Injection
- The purpose of maintenance on engineering equipment is to ____ A. Keep it in god working condition always Enable it to last forever C. Prevent it from making loud noise D. Stop it from working too long
Use the sketch below to answer question 37 and 38
- The diagram above illustrates _____ system in a vehicle A. Clutch
- Brake C. Wheel D. Disc
- The part labeled B is called ___ A. Disc Brake C. Brakelining
- Brake fold
- The device that disconnect or joins two revolving shafts during gear change is called ____ A. Drum Wheel C. Clutch D. Axle
- In the diagram below part P indicates the A. Shaft Clutch C. Plate D. Gear box
- Which of the following is used for hidden details?
- B. C. D.
- Identify the chord in the circle drawn below
- The drawing that accurately describes shape and size of an object is a/an ____ projection A. Axonometric Isometric C. Orthographic D. Oblique
- The part marked “X” in the diagram below is
- Vanishing point B. Station point C. Ground line D. Picture plane
- Safety “First” means care of tools and self B. Care of tools and equipment C. Care of tools, self and others D. working procedures
- The process of breaking a log into marketable size is called ____ A. Conversion felling C. Lamination D. Seasoning
- The following are marking, measuring, testing and setting tool EXCEPT ____ A. Chisel Try square C. Sliding level D. Rule
- Any substance that is applied between two moving bodies in contact to reduce friction is referred to A. Air Fluid C. Lubricant D. Water
- A straight line is the shortest distance between ____ points. A. Four
- Three C. Two D. One
- In the diagram shown below, rotary motion is changed to ____ motion.
- Angular B. Linear C. Translatory
SECTION B: THEORY
ANSWER FOUR QUESTIONS
1a. Define the term electro-emission in an electric appliance
- enumerate FOUR types of electronic devices with their uses and symbols.
2a. Differentiate between the processing of plastics and rubber
- List THREE methods of processing rubber
3a. What is Vulcanization?
- Make a large labeled diagram of an extrusion machine
4a. Differentiate between screws and fittings
- Describe THREE types of nails
5a. What is wood finishing?
- Write briefly on three national that are used as wood finishing
6a. Differentiate between internal and external screw heads.
- Describe THREE types of nails.
ANSWERS ALL QUESTIONS
- Make a large freehand sketch of a hand trowel
- Drawn in first angle orthographic projection the block shown below looking through arrow F.E. and show the following views
- Front elevation
- End elevation (right and left)
- Construct triangle PQR with sides PQ = 70mm, QR = 63mm, and angle PQR = 600
(a) What is the length of side PR?
(b) What is angle QRP?
- Draw a line AB = 80mm and divide it into eight equal parts.
- Construct a regular polygon with six sides across flat with sides 30mm each.